Lazy Girls Guide to a Skincare Routine
The skincare gods will probably shame me for admitting this, but my idea of skincare was wiping my makeup off at night and that’s it! I’m not here to make you feel bad about your choices either, instead I want to help you develop a routine that you love. If you’re anything like me, the last thing you want to do is spend hours on a routine. The key to developing a routine is using products that achieve the results you want. Finding products that your skin loves can be a daunting task, but when buying products think about your current skin state, what you are hoping to achieve and your lifestyle. Don’t have time to indulge in a rich moisturizer? Try an all in 1 moisturizer with SPF, skip all the extra steps and protect your skin from the sun while you’re at it. I’ll admit, I’m guilty of buying products based on marketing and solely because other people loved them without taking into account how it will work for ME. When you find products that work for you it will motivate you to use them consistently and therefore develop a routine. Secondly, think of washing your face like brushing your teeth, you HAVE to do it, no excuses! When I started treating washing my face less like a choice and more like something else I just absolutely had to do everyday, it became easier to do it. What happened when I started washing my makeup off, instead of using only wipes? My skin texture improved noticeably, I noticed a more even makeup application because of this. Overall, the skin needs to detox from a day’s worth of impurities. My last tip, is thinking of your skincare routine as a holistic experience. Maybe your only alone time is when you’re washing your face off at night, so why not take advantage of this time and meditate (take your facial roller, for example, and think of what you are grateful for or set your intentions for the next day). Making your skincare routine a holistic experience will help you become more enthusiastic about going through your routine.
Products that I love and helped me develop a skincare routine:
1. Indie Lee Cleanser- I love both the Brightening Cleanser and Rosehip Cleanser, they are honestly the best cleansers I have ever tried and they do not strip my skin of moisture. They leave my skin nice and refreshed, if you struggle with redness go with the Rosehip Cleanser.
2. Tata Harper Resurfacing Serum- This is a new addition to my skincare routine but I love it so much that it gets me really hyped about washing my face at night. I like to use this after I wash my face, let it sink in and then I follow with a moisturizer. This gentle serum lifts away dead skin cells and leaves your skin glowing.
3. Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream- I say the heart of any skincare routine is a good moisturizer. I love this moisturizer because it doesn't clog my pores and it plumps my skin and feels luxuries when you put it on. Just beware, this moisturizer doesn't last very long, I only use it at night but I love it so much that I had to repurchase!
4. Drunk Elephant C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream- If dark circles are a big concern for you then you can't skip a good eye cream! This is more lightweight than your typical eye cream and I feel like with continued use my fine lines have improved and overall eye area is more firm. Also this lasts a long time, I have only purchased this once months ago and I'm still not out!
5. Herbivore Rose Quartz Roller- Do yourself a favor and check out my post on facial rolling here! If you haven't tried it out yet you are missing out, facial rolling really helps me when I'm feeling stressed and it is a nice addition to any skincare routine.
6. Foreo Luna Fofo- I had to add this facial cleansing device because it measures my moisture levels and helps tailor the perfect cleanse for my needs (check out my full review here). It massages my face and I overall enjoy washing my face with this cute tool.
Remember you don’t have to have 10 steps in your skincare routine, listen to your skin, even if it only involves 3 steps the importance is doing it consistently! What is your favorite product in your skincare routine?