What is facial rolling? How Do I use it?
Rose quartz is a crystal that has many skincare benefits: helps with fine lines, wrinkles, tension, redness combine that with the benefits of facial rolling and the possibilities seem endless! But what exactly is facial rolling and does it actually work? Essentially facial rolling is using a massaging device like the Jade Roller/Rose Quartz roller (THIS ONE IS ON SALE RIGHT NOW! UNDER $25) to reduce facial swelling, promote lymphatic drainage and help skincare products penetrate into the skin. To me this all sounds like a fancy way of saying that you are going to be rubbing a crystal all over your face. I didn't buy into the hype into I started reading about facialists recommending the product as an at home facial massage alternative. Who doesn't want an inexpensive tool to use at home as a facial treatment? even if just for the experience! So as skeptical as I was about facial rolling I decided to give it a try once and for all with the Herbivore Rose Quartz Facial Roller. I was also especially inclined to try facial rolling since I still have not had the guts to try derma rolling (I promise I will!). Now that I have tried facial rolling for myself I can report that I have not been disappointed. I haven’t loved a beauty tool so much since purchasing my Clarisonic. This simple and very cute contraption really does the trick when it comes to depuffing your face and even under eye bags. Below is how I use my facial roller if your curious to see how it works:
1. I place my facial roller in the fridge to get maximum benefits. True story when I was in high school and started obsessing with skin I would put a spoon in the fridge to depuff my eyes (yes I had bags even then). Rolling a cooling crystal all over my face is oddly satisfying!
2. I use upward and outward motions, no back and forth motions (thanks Youtube). You don’t want to roll your face in a harsh way, think of it as a mini face lift, go up! I very gently roll my face day and night. Depending on how much time I have in the mornings I sometimes will only roll under my eyes.
3. It helps my creams penetrate my skin and absorb better so I use it with a favorite serum or oil of the moment. Lately, I have been loving using my Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask and then rolling my face. My face is overall glowing and more refreshed when I use it with an oil or serum.
4. I notice instant results when I use my facial roller like less facial swelling and less puffiness under the eye area. When I use the Rose Quartz roller with my favorite eye cream like the Olehenriksen eye cream my dark circles are diminished.
5. Rolling my face is therapeutic, it takes only a minute and yet it calms down my nerves. If you try facial rolling for one reason, I believe this would be the biggest for me! There's nothing better than taking a moment for yourself to release negative energy.
The appeal of facial rolling to me was combining a facial massage at home without the price tag. I never thought I would be into facial rolling but after trying it out for myself and even rolling my boyfriend’s face I understand the appeal. Final thoughts: you don’t need an expensive roller, you can get the same effect with a jade roller, or a cheaper alternative to my rose quartz roller. There are so many options on amazon and even Herbivore makes their own Jade roller for a much cheaper price tag than the rose quartz roller. I personally love my rose quartz roller even at its more expensive price point and I am using it almost every day so I think it’s definitely worth it! I hope this gives you clarity as to what facial rolling is and what it means to me.
Bonus: If you're dying to try facial rolling and are even on the look out to try the new Gua Sha craze I found a rose quartz set for you! Not into Gua Sha? I found another cute facial roller set and it comes with both the Jade Roller and Rose Quartz roller!